08 January, 2010

Some deep and some not so deep thought on fashion...

Some deep and some not so deep thought on fashion...


"Fashion is free speech, and one of the privileges, if not always one of the pleasures, of a free world." Alison Lurie



“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."  Mark Twain


"Fine cloth is never out of fashion." Thomas Fuller

“I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes. I had one thousand and sixty.”  Imelda Marcos


“I don't do fashion, I am fashion.”  Coco Chanel


“Fashion is architecture. It is a matter of proportions.”  Coco Chanel


“Chanel is composed of only a few elements, white camellias, quilted bags and Austrian doorman's jackets, pearls, chains, shoes with black toes. I use these elements like notes to play with.”  Karl Lagerfeld


"Fashion is the image of an age and can tells its story better than a speech." Karl Lagerfeld


"Women are most fascinating between the ages of 35 and 40 after they have won a few races and know how to pace themselves. Since few women ever pass 40, maximum fascination can continue indefinitely."  Christian Dior

“A woman's dress should be like a barbed- wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.”  Sophia Loren


“The dress must follow the body of a woman, not the body following the shape of the dress.”  Hubert de Givenchy


“The dress is a vase which the body follows. My clothes are like modules in which bodies move.”  Pierre Cardin


“I don't design clothes. I design dreams.”  Ralph Lauren


"People ask how can a Jewish kid from the Bronx do preppy clothes? Does it have to do with class and money? It has to do with dreams"  Ralph Lauren


"The essence of style is a simple way of saying something complex." Giorgio Armani


“Fashion anticipates, and elegance is a state of mind ... a mirror of the time in which we live, a translation of the future, and should never be static.”  Oleg Cassini


“Fashion is the science of appearances, and it inspires one with the desire to seem rather than to be.” Edwin Hubbel


“I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch.” Gilda Radner


“The lamb began to follow the wolf in sheep’s clothing.” Aesop


“When his wife asked him to change clothes to meet the German Ambassador: If they want to see me, here I am. If they want to see my clothes, open my closet and show them my suits.”  Albert Einstein


"Clothes don’t make a man, but clothes have got many a man a good job.”  Herbert Harold Vreeland


“Only men who are not interested in women are interested in women's clothes. Men who like women never notice what they wear.”  Anatole France


"Fashions fade; style is eternal" Yves Saint Laurent


"It pains me physically to see a woman victimized, rendered pathetic, by fashion." Saint-Laurent, Yves


"The only rule is don’t be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton


"Fashion is a social agreement — the result of a consensus of a large group of people." Stella Blum


"Every generation laughs at the old fashions but religiously follows the new." Henry David Thoreau


"A love of fashion makes the economy go round." Liz Tilberis


"Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess."  Edna Woolman Chase


"The soul of this man is his clothes."  William Shakespeare


"It is fancy rather than taste which produces so many new fashions." Voltaire


"Society is founded upon cloth." Carlyle, Thomas


"Woman's first duty in life is to her dressmaker. What the second duty is no one has yet discovered." Wilde, Oscar


"In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking but now, God knows, anything goes." Porter, Cole


"People have told me about organized crime in the fashion industry, but I can't talk about that. I'm looking to stay alive." Calvin Klein


"The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look natural." Calvin Klein

"I don't think about my fame very much." Calvin Klein

"I always find it kind of embarrassing, kind of funny, and kind of exciting. In New York I'm recognized a lot, although nobody says anything. You know, they stare at you just a second too long. But in Paris it's not as commonplace to be recognized."  Marc Jacobs

"It's a remarkable exercise to sit and look at you own work over the years." Vera Wang

"As a fashion designer, I was always aware that I was not an artist, because I was creating something that was made to be sold, marketed, used, and ultimately discarded." Tom Ford

If you have more quotes please add to the list...

No comments:

free counters